[Lazarus] RE : Determining OS

ik idokan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 20:13:19 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 20:37, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/7/31 Ludo Brands <ludo.brands at free.fr>:
> > Have you tried uname?
>
> That only gives you the kernel version.
>

> > lsb_release on ubuntu 10 64 bit says: no LSB modules are available. On
> > debian lenny for arm: command not found...
>
> Don't you guys READ!!!  I specifically showed the parameters you need
> to specify with the 'lsb_release' command so you DO GET THE RIGHT
> OUTPUT.
>
> Try this:
>
>   $ lsb_release -a
>

> Or from my original post...

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    n/a
Distributor ID: n/a
Release:        n/a
Codename:       n/a

It is missing from some implementations. Arch Linux (my distro) is spread
and not a small based distro, so lsb is not the way, only LSB based distro's
are.

But the original person that asked the question should explain better what
he is looking for. It might not require to detect the distro itself for
example, or to allow the package builder to tweak things, or at the first
run to ask the distro from a list of supported distro and save it in
configuration files.

It's all depends on what he requires to do.