[Lazarus] First impressions of Lazarus under Mac OS X

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jun 24 09:43:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:15:09 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> >> 5) The main form of the IDE was HUGE. Spanning the whole width of the
> >> iMac's display. That just looked totally out of place, but that's
> >> maybe just my opinion.
> >
> > It simply used percentage values. No maximums.
> > Maybe some maximums can be added.
> > This is on all platforms, not only OS X.
>
> So what... is it set to always use 100% of screen width? If so, that's a
> lousy default. The 21.5" iMac screen resolution is +-1920 pixels wide.
> That's big. The 27" iMac is well over 2560 pixels wide - makes the
> problem even worse!

I added a maximum.

> If you haven't noticed, Apple doesn't even have a "Maximize" button like
> Windows or Linux. Because it doesn't always make sense (or looks pretty)
> to have windows that wide or tall.

OS X has a maximize/restore button. But many programs do not use the
full screen width. For some programs this is ok, sometimes even great.
But for some programs like safari I don't understand this decision.

> I'd say, default the main form width to something like 1024 pixels. Then
> let the developer adjust it further if need be.

I used 1200.

> >> 6) The default font in the Lazarus Source window is absolutely
> >> hideous! Very pixelated and not anti-aliased.
> >
> > Yes. The default is disabled antialiased for all platforms not only OS
> > X.
> > The option is just below the font size.
>
> I guess that's another "Windows legacy" feature. ;-)

No.
Antialiasing didn't work on all platforms. The text
was unreadable.

>[...]
> Oh, and the other reason I probably overlooked that checkbox, is because
> I thought its functionality wasn't actually implemented. It does nothing
> under Linux (or Win2000 - the only Windows version I use for testing) -
> checked or not. No idea if it works for WinXP and later.

You overlooked a checkbox, because you know it is there?

Well, I guess at least newbies don't have that problem.

>[...]
> Well it doesn't do that under Linux-GTK2. I just tested with a non mono
> spaced font.

Yes, the distarray is implemented for gtk. But it slows down a lot. Gtk
is like a locomotive. It likes big chunks of load.

> [...]
> I'll retest all the new ideas tonight and when appropriate, report
> bugs/issues in Mantis.

Thanks.

Mattias