[Lazarus] Absolute paths on different platforms

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:35:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>>> Maybe, but when I "open" an shortcut to an folder, I get the folder
>>> contents, and its "properties" are the folder properties. Files may have
>>> different shortcuts/symlinks, but these can be replaced by hard links,
>>> in many cases (NTFS...).
>>
>> But not when you use normal Windows API functions. There a shortcut file
>> looks like a normal file. Window Explorer handles them in a special way.
>> This is THE difference to symlinks. On POSIX basic APIs like "open" will be
>> applied to the target of the symlink not the symlink itself.
>
> NTFS *Reparse Points* allow for many modifications of "normal" file
> handling, beyond POSIX capabilities, and IMO including true hard and
> symbolic links (IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK).

Thanks for mentioning, I also considering also this way. I use Far
Manager as my file manager that always had this feature (creating hard
links/symlinks). And in the project I can dedicate a platform-specific
subfolder, for example $(TargetCPU)-$(TargetOS)
-liblinks, where libpath1, libpath2... links are created. The bad side
is that I will lose the path information in the backups (if backup is
a simple copy)

Max