[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE can't multi-task

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jun 27 16:47:50 CEST 2011

 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> hat am 27. Juni 2011 um 16:10
geschrieben:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Is there as specific reason why Lazarus IDE stops compiling a project
 > when I open the 'Environment > Options' dialog? I've tested, and it
 > seems to happen with a lot of dialogs. Start a long running compile -
 > but don't dare open any dialogs in Lazarus IDE, otherwise the compile
 > freezes. Close the dialogs and the compiling continues. I've tested this
 > on a 32-bit and 64-bit machine, and on Linux and Mac OS X. Any no, it's
 > not just the screen refresh that doesn't update - the compiling
 > physically pauses until the dialog closes. ie: hard-drive activity stops
 > too.
The IDE reads the output in a loop using Application.ProcessMessages. This means
any event pauses reading the output.A ShowModal runs in its own loop, pausing
the calling code. That's why.
Only a rewrite would change this.

 > Is this by design, or just another bug? I would imagine with todays
 > multi-processor and multi-core systems, software should at least be able
 > to do two or more things at once.
 >
 > NOTE:
 > MSEide has no problem with compiling in the background (neither has my
 > experimental IDE), so it can't be a FPC limitation, but rather something
 > specific to Lazarus IDE.
 I already started a rewrite of the IDE's code to execute external tools. But I
can't say when it will be ready.

 Mattias