[Lazarus] thread safe

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 16:58:30 CEST 2011

Martin schrieb:

> See my example about memory alloc in my other mail. It shows, that a
> piece of code (and it's ability to be "safely invoked ") does not solely
> depend on the parameters passed, but also on (selected parts of) the
> state of the application or system.

What when some code does not return anything, *and* cannot work at all
due to some problem (out-of-memory, file deleted, object destroyed...)?

When e.g. a file search cannot proceed due to missing access rights? It
cannot return an boolean value (succ/fail), because it's simply unknown
whether the file exists.

When in case of an unexpected error the called procedure throws an
exception? Can this procedure *ever* be "safely invoked", when it may
return to some other place in code (exception handler)?

DoDi