[Lazarus] User defined defaults in object inspector

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Wed Mar 30 10:02:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

Would it be desirable to be able to specify one's own defaults for each
component (without subclassing), similar to defining your own favourite
properties?

Eg. each time I drop a TPanel, I change BevelOuter to bvNone and the Caption
to nothing. Doesn't seem that RAD. (TPanels really shouldn't be bevelled and
captioned by default either...)

There is already a "Set to default: xxx" menu item just before "Add to
favourites". Perhaps only for properties already defined as favourites, add
a "Make xxx my new default" menu item.

Alternatively, when you right-click on a component, have an option "Create
new TPanel controls like this one".

Or even better, the ability to have your own named templates: "My
top-aligned orange panel", "Modal button panel with OK & Cancel", etc. These
would be named form-lets, little pieces of LFM that aren't stored in units
by themselves and are easily accessible from the toolbar. Subclassing,
frames and form inheritance seem to be overkill to address this simple
requirement.

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Paul.