[Lazarus] More menu changes

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:31:21 CET 2011

Hi

I moved items between Edit, Source, Refactor and Tools menus.
Now also some packages register their menu items under Source, View and
Environment menus instead of Tools menu.
I am quite happy with most item locations.
However "Enviroment" menu needs some attention as Martin noted.

Now there is a huge Options dialog where even the list of setting page names
(in a treeview) doesn't fit into the default sized window but must be scrolled.
Then there are 2 small setting dialogs:
 "Code templates" and "Codetools defines editor".
A question arises, why are they not integrated into the huge Options dialog
like everything else.

One idea: "Options" could be moved to Tools->Options or Edit->Preferences. The
other settings could go there, too. Scan FPC directory would go to Tools.
Enviroment menu would go away.
On the other hand some packages can register their settings into a menu. It
makes sense to have one dedicated menu for settings.
I would like to see the big Options dialog splitted to many, and have them
under the menu. The menu could be renamed to "Settings" or even "Application"
if it feels better.

---

There were more ideas from Martin and others which I didn't implement:

- IMO "search results" and "debug window" fit well under View menu because you
can open them also when not searching or debugging. Besides the windows are
typically opened automatically when searching / debugging.

- Having a Debug menu would practically replace the Run menu because most
items deal with debugging or both debugging and running.
It could be a good idea to move the upper "Build" section (4 items) to Project
menu (like Delphi has it), and rename "Run" to "Debug".
On the other hand, I don't see any big problems with the current "Run" menu.

- The character insertion items should all be collected into one place.
IMO the source menu is the best fit.

More ideas are welcome.

Juha