[Lazarus] Rescan FPC sources crashes Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Mar 26 11:28:12 CET 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:06:48 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 March 2011 23:55, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma@****> wrote:
> >
> > If you don't know the purpose of a variable, why change it?
>
> Well you know programmers, especially 'newbie' ones... They sometimes
> do just as dumb things as end-users. ;-)

Yes, but this is no reason to make the RTL child safe. It's a tool not
a toy.

> > The documentation and comment do not say that you should set it.
>
> I haven't checked the documentation, but does it also say you
> shouldn't set it. :)

I think the better question is: Has he read some documentation? And if
yes, which one make him believe to set it.

> > AFAIK when writing your own thread manager you must set it.
>
> Still no excuse for a global variable. Simply registering that thread
> manager with some RTL class could automatically return True if the
> function IsRTLMultiThreaded(): boolean is called. Global variables are
> renowned for being "unsafe" and so 80's style of developing...
> improved alternative do exist now.

lol.
Changing a time critical variable to a function just to prevent
vandalism by newbies. For a moment I really thought you were serious. :)

Mattias