[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Mar 30 15:49:46 CEST 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:
>
>>> IMO the IDE should look for a configuration in the current (EXE) directory
>>> first, and only into the common directory when no config can be found
>>> there.
>>
>> Well, definitely not on Unix. On unix, the EXE directory should never
>> contain config files.
>
> I dare to disagree. A SVN checkout is writeable, and this is where the EXE is
> stored, along with the related source files. Consequently the config should
> be stored there as well.

No, no and once more: no.

This is a typical Windows user reasoning which is total nonsense on unix.
You should never ever leave a config file or an executable in a source
directory, it's plain wrong to do so. I don't know a single unix application
that does this.

Config files belong in 1 of 3 places:

under /etc/myapp
under ~/.myapp
under ~/config/myapp

If you want to support multiple configurations, create subdirectories of
these directories, period.

Don't try to force Windows habits on Unix users.

Michael.