[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Mar 31 13:47:26 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:50:05PM +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> > problem to share him config espicialy for IDE.
>
> IMO the current config is not shareable, due to the many absolute pathes
> in it.

Interesting. How did you test this? Did you try the lazarus-dir parameter
approach?  IIRC one can make everything relative to lazarus-dir and then
pass lazarusdir on the cmdline (though that is mainly meant for portable
versions, the problem is the same).

The only problem I see is that fpc will have to be installed in the lazarus
dir everywhere.

I don't think this is very usuable for really complex situations, but could
be useful for a little test.

> Just my argument for splitting up the config, into something like
> shareable IDE settings (layout, shortcuts...), and machine or
> installation settings (with pathes).

I think this is horrible complication of afairs without much benefit,
morever since usually most multiple lazarus installations will span multiple
versions, it is flat out unworkable.

> Currently I have to locate the default configuration directory, what's
> not so easy on Windows, and move or rename it, before I can e.g. install
> another snapshot or branch.

I never use the global dir. I simply use a batchfile to start lazarus that
sets --lazarus-dir and pcp.

I think that if you want to fix issues like this, the installer is the place
to work. It should allow "advanced" or movable installs.