[Lazarus] OnGuard component: CreateMachineID not working?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:15:05 CEST 2011

2011/4/28 John Repucci <john.repucci at gm*****>:

> I did see the conversation about OnGuard in early 2010 about drive ID's, so
> I'm getting leery of using the drive ID information.

I finally got to the stage in our company project to start
implementing security, and working on OnGuard improvements. I haven't
looked at the OnGuard code for a long time, but looking at it today
again, it is in a royal mess! GUI and non-GUI code all mixed up. Lots
of IFDEF's. InstantObject framework dependencies etc. Yikes!!!

Anyway, I created a fork of subversion Lazarus CCR's OnGuard
repository. My new repository is located on GitHub. I don't know if my
goals for OnGuard are on par with the Lazarus CCR, so to reduce
friction, I decided to rather work on a fork instead. The original
OnGuard maintainers are welcome to back-port anything from my
repository if they want.

   https://github.com/graemeg/onguard

Changes so far:
 * split the single package into two. One non-gui and one Lazarus IDE
design time package.
 * Some minor code changes to get things to build on my side
 * Added a text file with some new ideas I have for OnGuard

My goals over the next few days
 * Split the GUI units from the 'source' into various "gui toolkit" directories.
    eg: source/lcl  &   source/fpgui
 * Split the demos between toolkits too.
 * Create some console demos to see what actually works and what not.
 * Implement the new hard drive serial number detection under Linux. Without
    requiring root access, and that supports USB and SATA drives too.
 *  Probably add some unit tests too, seeing that I can't program
without unit testing code.

If this is going to solve your problem... I don't know. I guess it is
too soon to tell. But maybe give it another try in a few days.

  - Graeme -