[Lazarus] fppkg front end

dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Tue May 10 09:27:24 CEST 2011

 Hi Graeme,

 Thanks for the feedback.

> 1) Remove LCLBase package dependency. The LCL package is enough.
 I will look at dependencies later on indeed. For now I have slung a
 couple of units together from other projects and didn't pay too much
 attention to the "details". Probably there are other units in as well
 that can be taken out.

> 2) Comment line 16 in 'project1.lpr' file.
>      //  RequireDerivedFormResource := True;
>

> My comments/feedback:
> ---------------------
> 1) Unlike the original fppkg front-end, you hard-coded all text
> strings.
> Those should be changed to resource strings so they can allow for
> translation.
 For sure this is planned.

> 2) The idea of the "settings" tab is good, but I think its hard to
> read
> of first sight. Maybe a dedicated Config Dialog would serve the
> end-user
> better - rather than simply dumping all the settings to a read-only
> textbox. With a config dialog, the end-user could then edit the
> settings
> too.
 I have chosen for a dump for now. Later this will be replaced by a
 parser. I will probably link to the fppkg units to use that parser
 instead. Reading the commandline output seems a bit too hard to do. This
 will also make it possible to modify configuration?!? The results will
 be presented in a config stringgrid (like in the object inspector).

> 3) I really liked the idea from the original front-end project.
> Having
> the ability to run it as stand-alone (normally my preferred choice),
> but
> also as a Lazarus IDE add-on (somebody will probably like this
> option).
 It's there ;)

> 4) Maybe rename the project and actually give it a name rather than
> 'project1'. ;-)
 Have a better name for it? :)

> 5) The "Fix broken" button seems to always be enabled, even at
> start-up,
> when no package has been selected yet. What is weird too is that the
> button text is painted as an enabled button, but the image is painted
> as
> a disabled button.
 The image is not very good. It's just a mockup, will replace with a
 better one when I find it. The fixbuild functionality is now allways
 enabled because it's not depending on a package. The command will try to
 fix the build for any package it finds broken. Perhaps I should only
 enable it when a broken package was detected.

 Regards, Darius