[Lazarus] Qt5 plans available

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed May 11 09:18:57 CEST 2011

On 05/10/2011 08:21 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:23:57PM +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> Hmm,
>>
>> The big thing is Android !!!
> And if you want to capitalize on it, you need to be ready now, not only
> start.
>
> Lazarus is not suitable for trying to follow fast moving trends. Iphone
> was just yesterday, and even that is not really ready.

Yep.

OTOH, I feel that Android is the more promising concept. In fact I don't
like it's strong Java binding. I would prefer CIL, as same can provide
Multi-Arch executables as well and seems the more advanced concept to me
and is supported by a good count of programming languages, not just one.
But very obviously Google's decision to use Java was a political one
(against Microsoft). To allow for CIL on Android, there already is
MonoDroid by Novell. Lets see where this goes after Novell having been
bought. (Ugly theory: with Money coming from Microsoft, to be shut down
?!?!?!? :-) )

But other than then the iPhone OS+GUI, that seems quite different to the
PC Mac OS+GUI, Android to me seems to be about to win at multiple targets:
  - mobile (smart Phone and "Pad":  anyway)
  - Laptop
  - Desktop (via the Laptop path)
  - embedded (I already found the first embedded PCBs that come with
Android <enhanced by API extensions for embedded hardware interfaces)
  - Servers (it's not harm if the usual Linux server gets a - seldom
used -  Android GUI just for compatibility)

-Michael