[Lazarus] Qt5 plans available

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:53:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> Yes. And we have neither the interested developers nor fulltimers to be
> quick enough to track fastmoving targets, which was mostly my point.

At some point implementing a LCL widgetset based on that was on my
plans, but then I found out that the Android API is really very
different from the LCL. Doing the mappings is really a problem. It is
filled with specifics which one can't just ignore, it really requires
Android specific code for handling the life-cycle events, for example.

At least I managed to port the essential parts to allow writing FPC
applications which run on Android. So at least one can reuse the
non-GUI code across Android, iPhone and Windows CE.

> A side concern is the walled garden concept of many mobile phones. They
> don't exactly encourage portable software, but want custom made apps for
> their phones, preferably with their recommended tools.

Indeed. Windows CE and Meego were the best platforms to develop for,
the most standard compliant ones. WinCE being compliant with Win32 and
Meego with Linux, but both are dead now.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho