[Lazarus] fppkg front end

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat May 14 15:46:30 CEST 2011

On Sat, 14 May 2011, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 12:15 +0200, Darius Blaszyk wrote:
>> I finally finished the Lazarus version of fppkg. Please review and test. In the zip file you will find a modified version of fppkg, I have created a separate patch for these changes (19348) . Once committed I will cleanup this patch again and it could go for commit if approved of course.
>
> Seems like your package depends on lnet. But lnet is not bundled with
> fpc or Lazarus, it has to be installed separately. (The lnet code in fpc
> is more an ugly hack, you can not depend on it)
>
> But you're lucky, since lnet is installable through fppkg. Maybe we can
> add this package itself to the fppkg repository, so it installs lnet
> automatically.
>
> Downside is that in that case it is not possible to make it work
> 'out-of-the-box' in lazarus. People always have to configure and install
> this graphical front-end from the command line.
>
> Or lnet, or an lnet-light with different unit-names has to be added to a
> default Lazarus-installation.

We don't need lnet. LNet is a full-blown TCP/IP suite. When all you need
for fppg is a leightweight HTTP client, able to fetch a file.
This can be easily written in 30 minutes on top of ssockets, and distributed
by default.

I looked at nYume/aservia as HTTP server, and decided I can do better than that,
so I'm currently working on a simple HTTP server. While I'm at it, I'll
write a small HTTP client. It can then be used by default in fppkg,
so we can have lnet entirely optional (just as wget or synapse)

Michael.