[Lazarus] Qt5 plans available

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu May 19 10:12:47 CEST 2011

On 05/18/2011 06:53 PM, Lee Jenkins wrote:

> If I were to pick this project up again, I would probably go with
> Appcellerator or PhoneGap for the GUI front end.
IMHO if such a project indeed would be (re-)started, it should be done
without much considering the remote site, so that it is as universal as
possible. So the first implementation should be completely done in
Pascal ( (1) the server "Widget Type" implementation and (2) a client as
a simple Lazarus Program) with a bidirectional Linux pipe as the
streaming interface between the two. With that, just the well-known
tools can be used. Of course the pipe easily can be replaced by a socket
and we already would have a useful remoting tool.

In a next step creating different remote GUI clients (basted on Windows
messages <for 2008 Server service>, HTTP/JavaScript <e.g. using
"ExtJS">, Android/Java, Silverlight/Moonlight <e.g. using Delphi-Prism>,
Flash <ActionScript>, etc.) could be started.

But before even starting anything, a major hurdle is, that there are
several "Widget Types" available in Lazarus, but not a single one
provides decent "Event Driven Programming" (such as "TTimer",
"Synchronize"  and "QueuAsyncCall") without requiring an external GUI
framework. Such an "active NoGUI" Widget Type is needed as the basic
building block for the GUI remoting "ifi" Widget Type. Obviously this
needs to be done before any remote GUI implementation could be taken
into serious consideration. I feel that a good way of doing this would
be to work together with Greame to move his EventQueue code outside of
the "fpGUI" Widget Type implementation to a location where it is usable
by other Widget Types, as well.

> Also, speaking of Appcelerator and PhoneGap, wouldn't it be nice to
> see a FPC version of the same?
I have no glimpse of those :(

But I feel that an "ifi" Widget set might be the base of a lot of
inspiring stuff.

And I think that project could be initiated in a way that as well on the
server as on the client site could start with just a few basic GUI
elements done in a as GTK2 compatible way as possible to allow for
switching a project between GTK2 and "ifi" Widget Sets at any point in
time (as long as only these GUI elements are used). More elements can be
added by combining existing elements (just on the server) or creating
new ones with their own server- and client- implementation.

-Michael