[Lazarus] Getting update rect/region in Windows

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Tue May 24 14:11:17 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>wrote:

> Actually I needed access not only to update rect, but to the update region
> (for example in order to effectively resolve small rectangles in different
> areas of a big window). In this case I also found a replacement for
> GetUpdateRgn, it's GetRandomRgn, documented not so long ago (so I was not
> aware of its existence) and according to the help it contains the correct
> region not only before, but also after BeginPaint. So I will probably use
> this one instead of windowproc hacking
> IMO the entire update region should be available for every window (by
> HWND).

As I suppose regions are implemented differently on other platforms
(Linux/MacOS), right? Thanks to this discussion I made a progress with a
software that I wanted to be compatible with Lazarus (
http://www.maxerist.net/main/soft-for-win/tubicus) . It's a tetris-inspired
game and is gnu gpl. I would like to made it compatible with other
platforms, but I'm not sure whether I should change region-based logic to
something else in this case. I will be glad to hear any advice on this.

Max