[Lazarus] fpWeb and static content

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed May 25 00:17:37 CEST 2011

On 5/24/2011 4:21 PM, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

>>> Why would you need fpweb to serve static content? Your web server does that.
>>> CGI/FCGI and apache modules (fpweb) are to generate dynamic content.
>>>
>>> AB
>>>

>> Good question.  I want to deploy as an embedded server without the need to
>> install apache, etc for small workgroups and so the I need to allow the server
>> to server up a few key files which could be from the file system or embedded in
>> the executable file for instance.
>>
>> For the most part the static files that I'd like to server up are the index.html
>> page (entry point) and it's dependent script and or css files.  All of the other
>> html content will be served up through the templating system and injected into
>> the initial index.html page through ajax or constructed client-side as a result
>> of JSON data received from the server as well.  I figured instead of writing
>> separate web modules/actions for each...
>
> I still do not understand why you didn't use 'fppkg install embweb' and
> used that. That embedded webserver does all you want.
>
> Joost.

I am using windows snapshots and it doesn't work with the fpc version included.
  I think I tried manually copying the fpc files as well at some point.  I know
I need to setup source compiling on windows, but this is a bit of a side project
and time is tight lately.

For testing and compiling on windows using current snapshots for now, I figured
I'd use FCGI since I already had a XAMPP install setup anyway and that way I can
debug it easily and test it in real time.  I've also been wanting to try getting
an fcgi app up and running with lazarus for a while now.

Btw, since the point of the framework is be backend agnostic as much as
possible, the need to serve up static files transparently in cases where there
is an embedded deployment may even be better addressed in the framework itself
at some point.  I know, I know.  Patches are welcome. :-)

--
Warm Regards,

Lee