[Lazarus] multiple versions and portable lazarus

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:44:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 22:34, Roberto Padovani <padovani.r at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I know it's me, and I beg your pardon for this, but every time I try
> to upgrade from a lazarus version to another...it's a mess.
> It happened before, but today I tried to upgrade from 0.9.28.3 to
> 0.9.30 stable releases
> Uninstalling old versions, always leaves something behind. For example
> I had some packages of mine installed in the old one, and the new one
> complained it couldn't find the package file (so it created a dummy
> one). Why and how did the new one searched for them?
> It seems to me that I cannot uninstall completely.

Any file you place in Lazarus's folder that did not arrive from the
installation will be kept.
You also have in your home directory (I do not know where in Windows) a
"hidden" folder of Lazarus, where it saves all of it's settings, including
components you have installed. These settings are written in XML format, so
if you must, you can edit them by hand (not recommended though).

> As a bonus, the new 0.9.30 has a problem with my toolbar. In the
> office win32 pc I have a top screen windows launch bar, always on top,
> that let's me be confortable when I am away from my Mac. The lazarus
> 0.9.30 menu bar keeps going behind it (like many other apps, also) and
> even if I fix the position, the next time is behind again....somehow
> not remembering the preference, which 0.9.28.3 did.

You should tell the IDE in Tools->Options->Desktop to save and restore the
position (and size) of the main window. If you do not tell it to, it will
place it on the default location, or location you set by hand on the Desktop
tab if I remember correctly.

> Generally speaking, why do I have to _install_ (in the win32 sense)
> lazarus? Isn't it possible to have a portable installation?
> If I compile it from scratch, set a few environment options and
> register some extension, should it work?
> The same is true for FPC, can it be portable?

What does portable means ? In my Linux machines I do not install Lazarus,
but have it on my home directory and execute it by hand, and also compile it
as needed.

I've created my own package for FPC that I do install it on my system. I
compile it every few weeks. But All you require is to have the execution
programs on your Path, and set fpc.cfg (at your home directory) to point to
the proper path of the compiled units.

> Thanks,
>
>   Roberto

Ido