[Lazarus] multiple versions and portable lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue May 31 23:37:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 22:08:32 +0200
Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 09:34:23PM +0200, Roberto Padovani wrote:
> > I know it's me, and I beg your pardon for this, but every time I try
> > to upgrade from a lazarus version to another...it's a mess.
> > It happened before, but today I tried to upgrade from 0.9.28.3 to
> > 0.9.30 stable releases
>
> Don't upgrade. Carefully erase (everything!), and then reinstall.

Upgrading via svn is fully supported.

> > Uninstalling old versions, always leaves something behind. For example
> > I had some packages of mine installed in the old one, and the new one
> > complained it couldn't find the package file (so it created a dummy
> > one)
>
> I do agree that installers should ask if the old config should be reused.
> They seem to be versioned, so that should be possible.

The version is for the format. The IDE upgrades automatically old
configs. But it does not automatically change paths.
The problem is that some 0.9.30 installers install Lazarus and/or FPC to
another directory than the 0.9.28 installers, but do not adapt the
paths in the configs.
Therefore 0.9.31 now checks a few more things and
shows a setup dialog.

>[...]

> Lazarus overrides that by generating and passing an own fpc.cfg. Not unlike
> Delphi with dcc32.cfg btw. The info for that comes from Lazarus' own
> configuration.

Lazarus does not generate a fpc.cfg. In fact it uses the values given
by the compiler, so Lazarus uses the standard fpc.cfg too.

Mattias