[Lazarus] Web development and XML database (Mattias)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:06:35 CET 2011

On 16/11/2011, Juha Manninen <juh....> wrote:

> This is interesting because often the DB queries are the slowest part of a
> (web-)application.

For our applications, setting up the DB connection is the slowest
part, not the actual queries. Our queries execute in 1-3 milliseconds.

As for a text file as database, compared to a real RDBMS server...
text files are *way slower*!  The tiOPF project has persistence layers
for text files (TAB, CSV and XML) and SQL database servers. I attached
the hourly Speed Timing unit test report. As you can see, querying
TAB, CSV and XML are by magnitudes slower than any RDBMS backend.

quick example:

  table iteration (selection of records) for TAB vs
SqlDB_Interbase.....   19056ms   vs   452ms

  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net