[Lazarus] MDI implementation

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu Nov 17 10:06:26 CET 2011

On Thursday 17 of November 2011 09:39:26 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 17/11/2011, zeljko <zeljko at ...> wrote:
> > LCL is not screwed. As I said *mdiemulator is there for other widgetsets*
>
> Is this emulator part of LCL? Also what is this MultiDoc I see in the

Not yet.

> lazarus wiki?

Multidoc is trying to mimic mdi, I've tried it once and I didn't like it.

> I haven't created a MDI application in over a decade, so had to google
> it first. :-)  I followed the following Delphi MDI tutorial to the
> letter - using latest Lazarus Trunk. I first tried that tutorial under
> Delphi 7 and it worked flawlessly. Then I tried Lazarus trunk.
>
>   http://delphi.about.com/od/objectpascalide/l/aa042500a.htm
>
> I'm running under Linux, using the LCL-GTK2 widgetset. Needless to
> say, MDI under Linux did NOT work! All child forms are created outside
> the bounds of the MDI parent. Closing "mdi child" forms only work on
> the 3rd attempt clicking the top right X button.

MDI started few days ago, only qt fully supports MDI on all targets where it
works under lazarus (mac, linux, win).
Gtk/Gtk2/Carbon isn't finished yet (depends on mdiemulator).
Win32 will have native implementation (same as qt).

> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Image:Mdiemulator_gtk.png
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Image:Mdiemulator_gtk2.png
>
> Pretty pictures, but why doesn't it work in Lazarus trunk?

Because, mdiemulator isn't ready yet. I don't want to commit
partial/incomplete solution.

> > No, it's not ironic since fpgui works only on linux and win.
>
> Correction, fpGUI works on:  Linux, Windows, WinCE, Mac OS X (as an
> x11 style application), FreeBSD and family, OpenSolaris and Embedded
> arm-linux devices.
>
> > targets than fpgui which will be same as it was 2-3 years ago.
>
> What are you talking about?

I'm talking about fpgui :)

zeljko