[Lazarus] Web development and XML database (Mattias)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:11:34 CET 2011

On 17 November 2011 11:54,  <michael.vancanneyt at ....> wrote:

> I really don't see why you think SQL databases are slow. We have lots of
> queries running on our system, huge amounts of updates, and Firebird does an
> extremely good job of it, and we do almost only multi-table select queries.
> Concurrency is not an issue at all with their multi-generational
> architecture - no locking is needed.

+1

And our systems use GUID's  [defined as varchar(36)] as primary keys.
Not the most optimized primary key type, but very suitable for our
needs. And still our performance on multi-table select queries are
very fast.

I guess it boils down to the skill of the developer writing those SQL
statements. I once improved a large report which took 15 minutes to
run. In the end that same report complete in about 7 seconds flat -
simply by changing the SQL statement and applying correct indexes to
the tables involved.

  - Graeme -