[Lazarus] FontCanUTF8(Font: HFont)

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:22:31 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> Reading the implementation doesn't help much, as can be seen with your
> example:
>
> What does *FontIsDoubleByteCharsFont* mean? This *might* mean UTF-16, but
> then the name *FontCanUTF8* already is wrong.

It doesn't matter what it does, the important thing is seeing that it
does something in LCL-Gtk1 and does nothing useful in all other
widgetsets. Gtk1 is obsolete, so the routine currently does nothing
useful.

> IMO a usable software should *not* require the user to guess

>From what I see, users should not use this routine. As mentioned in my
previous e-mail it looks a legacy from the past when Lazarus still
used ansi-encoded strings in some widgetsets.

It does not look useful nowadays, so I propose deprecating it. Anyone opposed?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho