[Lazarus] Fwd: [lazarus-br] Tamaho do executavel

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Oct 4 10:15:55 CEST 2011

On 04/10/2011 01:51, William Oliveira Ferreira wrote:
> On a Brazillian Lazarus Mailing List, someone asked once again how to
> reduce the executable's size generated by FPC/Lazarus. I've suggest
> him to generate a external debug symbol file on linking. That's help a
> lot with this issue, you know. But, Silvio and I have a little
> question: Why this isn't the default option? (Generate external debug
> symbol gdb).
> Could someone set it as default? It will reduce the amount of
> questions about the size of the executable.

I don't know if there are other reasons. but I think for once, it has to
be tested.

That is, using it on Windows, or a new Linux distro with a new gdb
version, probably works. But Lazarus still runs in environments, that
are forced to use older gdb. So changing the default means to check that
all those gdb versions will work with the changed defaults.

There may be other reasons, of which I am not aware..