[Lazarus] Initial value of BidiMode in RightToLeft system

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 10:52:59 CEST 2011

Zaher Dirkey schrieb:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com <mailto:DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     Zaher Dirkey schrieb:
>
>         Hi,
>         I have English tools, but it work as Right to left forms,
>         becuase it get the BidiMode from the language, while i am not
>         choose any language for my application.
>         That is not bug, it is wrong behavior.
>

>     Can you explain the correct (expected) behaviour?
>     (Give a link?)
>
>     I've never been working in an RTL environment, and have no idea how
>     it should behave with Unicode (UTF-8). With Ansi controls it looks
>     quite easy to me, there the choosen font (maybe language) imposes
>     either LTR or RTL reading, with no further adjustments required.
>

> When i start new application it is normal to be English And left to
> right, not Right to left

What exactly is or should be right-to-left? Menus? Form layout?

Text orientation in labels and edit boxes IMO should depend on the
character set, not on language settings.

> If i want it Arabic (RTL) i must set it by my self, after my language
> loaded, or if my form already done in Arabic language.

I understand that an Arabic application should have e.g. an label to the
right of an edit box, where LTR would have the label to the left.
Doesn't this mean that all origins and directions of the controls should
be swapped, i.e. (0,0) should be the top-right point in the form?

> GetLanguageIDs get the RTL of the my envirement system (Windows) not
> from my application.
> My system set to be RTL, now my English application set to be RTL, and
> that wrong.

Well, then every application should have a design (or layout) language,
that e.g. swaps the left and right borders.

> In short to understand what happened
> ----------
> Imagine that you made an English tools worked fine for you (not multi
> language tools), and you send it to me, that tools will flip to use RTL
> in my system with English language.

Is e.g. the Lazarus IDE flipped automatically? When you switch the IDE
language?
[I get a really weird layout, when I switch the IDE to e.g. Hebrew, with
very different window sizes]

Can you supply an screen shot, to make more clear *what* exactly is
flipped on your system?

DoDi