[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 20 15:10:58 CEST 2011

On 10/20/2011 02:55 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Michael Schnell<mschnell at lumino.de>  wrote:
>> All others are fooled.
> This is not true. My students from the 2nd year of engineering learned
> alone how to use UTF-8 properly.

That is exactly what I meant to say. Those who do learn how to deal with
Unicode might be very happy to keep in mind the Unicode encoding with
all string operations.

And if your opinion is that everybody, who wants to program with
Lazarus, is happy when he also learns the ways of Unicode, I will not
contradict.

But IMHO Lazarus should be (at least) as easy to use as Java and friends
and not provide additional traps for the Unicode-illiterates.

(I once proposed to drop the support for myString[i] or for the "char"
type altogether to prevent some of these traps, but supposedly this is a
silly idea.)

-Michael