[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 20 16:19:00 CEST 2011

On 10/20/2011 03:45 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Do you have any big applications
> written in Lazarus? If you had, how happy would you be having to
> convert them from utf-8 to utf-16?
I never voted for a UTF-16 - Lazarus.

In fact I have lots of applications done in Delphi <  2009 and thus not
Unicode aware at all but using just 8 bit "fixed locale" ANSI encoded
strings.

I was happily converting some of those to the pre-Unicode of Lazarus
(for having them run on Linux).

I was not at all happy trying to convert them to the "always UTF-8"
version of Lazarus.

I am sure that I will not be more happy trying to convert them to a
hypothetical "always UTF-16" version of Lazarus.

I have no idea how happy I would be trying to convert them to a Unicode
aware Delphi version > 2009.

And of course I have no idea at all how happy I would be trying to
convert them to an upcoming "new Delphi String" version of Lazarus.

-Michael