[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Oct 20 17:49:02 CEST 2011

Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> hat am 20. Oktober 2011 um 15:10
geschrieben:

> On 10/20/2011 02:55 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Michael Schnell<mschnell at lumino.de>  wrote:
> >> All others are fooled.
> > This is not true. My students from the 2nd year of engineering learned
> > alone how to use UTF-8 properly.
>
> That is exactly what I meant to say. Those who do learn how to deal with
> Unicode might be very happy to keep in mind the Unicode encoding with
> all string operations.

> And if your opinion is that everybody, who wants to program with
> Lazarus, is happy when he also learns the ways of Unicode, I will not
> contradict.
>
> But IMHO Lazarus should be (at least) as easy to use as Java and friends
> and not provide additional traps for the Unicode-illiterates.
What Java do you have in mind?
Last time I used Oracle/Sun Java it still used 2byte char and you need to set
the compiler/IDE to UTF8, otherwise your source code is not portable. We have a
lot of students writing java programs under Windows, then wondering why their
programs create garbage under Linux. Often they say: Linux has problems with
unicode. Reason: teachers think that unicode is so simple under java, so they
don't explain it.

> (I once proposed to drop the support for myString[i] or for the "char"
> type altogether to prevent some of these traps, but supposedly this is a
> silly idea.)

If you have students that stupid, then don't tell them about the [] operator.

Mattias