[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Oct 24 12:24:11 CEST 2011

On 10/21/2011 11:48 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

>> What if a file on the user computer has 4byte [visible] character as
>> 8th character and you, for example want to get 8 character file name?
>> In this case you split that 4 byte character and have garbage.

For me (and for Linux) a file name does not at all consist of visible
characters but is just a sequence of bytes. (AFAIK, with Ext3 any byte
is allowed but Zero and "/").

How this byte array is presented on a screen, printed out or obtained
from a keyboard is jut up to the program that communicates with the
user. Thus it _might_ handle the byte string as if it would be UTF-8
(unless it does not match the appropriate rules), as locale based ANSI
or whatever.

For the presentation it of course needs to adhere to the API definition
of the WidgetSet used. But this in fact does not have any relation to
how the file system works and this what the meaning of the file name
really is.

-Michael