[Lazarus] Help needed with a SynEdit patch please - Tab char indicator

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:46:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

When you enable "show special characters" or "show hidden characters"
(eg: spaces and tab characters), most editors place the tab character
indicator exact where the tab character actually occurs in the text. The
beginning of the tab width. Lazarus IDE place the tab character
indicator at the trailing end of the tab width. See 'before.png' image.

Placing the tab character indicator at the beginning makes it easier to
see, because it is never against any normal text.

I would like to modify my Lazarus to do what most other editors do -
maybe the official Lazarus will change too (but I don't mind if it doesn't).

Anyway, I know nothing about SynEdit, but I think I found the place I
need to modify. My tab indicators are now "almost" in the correct
location - they just don't match up with the actual tab width. See
'after.png' image. And the more tab characters i have, the worse it gets.

Attached is my patch. Can somebody tell me what my patch is doing wrong
please?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
  - Graeme -