[Lazarus] Removed use of UTF8String in Lazarus to work with cpstrnew

cobines cobines at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:22:17 CEST 2011

Hello.

Yesterday there was a commit:

http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&root=lazarus&revision=32374

"don't use UTF8String type in the code. It will cause problems when
cpstrenew branch is merged"

What problems could it cause, is it because Lazarus currently uses
AnsiString as UTF8? I thought Lazarus is going to continue using UTF8
and then it shouldn't be a problem using UTF8String in it or in its
applications. I would rather think that all instances of AnsiString
would need to be removed because the compiler would do Ansi<->UTF8
conversions where it previously didn't.

We are using UTF8String in our application just for the sake of
denoting that it is UTF8 encoding not Ansi. If I would like to start
testing FPC trunk with the merged cpstrnew branch, should I replace
all UTF8String with String?

--
cobines