[Lazarus] Property grid keyboard behaviour problems

Lubos Pintes pintes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:34:02 CEST 2011

Hi again :-)
This time I have some problems with keyboard navigation in Object
inspector's property grid.
1. The keyboard navigation is a bit difficult because if some property
is focused, the property value edit field is immediately selected.
In Delphi I can arrow up/down and look through the properties, if I
don't know which properties particular component supports.
In Lazarus this is not possible because edit is focused and a lot of
useless info is reported by screen reader like edit field, selected
text, text itself, readonly state if applicable... This info is useless
in navigation context, in other cases it is correct of course.

2. Quick finding the property or event by name:
In Delphi I can write something like "oncr" to quickly select "OnCreate"
property.
In Lazarus this is not possible because when I type "o", the first thing
starting with "o" is selected and the bad behaviour described above repeats.

3. Weird behaviour of Tab key:
If one property is selected, Tab correctly cycles between property grid
and property edit value.
However if I select a property by arrows or by typing some letter, it is
necessary to press Tab twice to return to property grid.
It happened to me several times that I wrote something to edit field
when I tried to locate another property.