[Lazarus] MS Access file - is it 'accessible' concurrently ?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:40:05 CEST 2011

On 07/09/2011 17:57, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> Eeehm, yes, it is a file-based database system. Still, Access
> developers have succesfully (and cheaply) been developing quite
> reliable, split Access front-end (GUI)/back end (data) solutions for
> department-level use. (I used to be one, a long time ago).

May be interesting for how much craic is needed to understand that ;)

> However, Dimitri is correct in that doesn't seem a good idea to use
> an Access file for new development, especially in Lazrus.

OK. Not surprised ;)

> As of now, you'd have to use ODBC in any case for SQL Server and
> Access. IIRC, transaction support in FPC ODBC is not present yet.

What does it have instead ? Table/row locking ?

> If that is a factor for you, you might want to look at other
> databases, such as Firebird (easy to run as embedded, too),
> PostgreSQL, Oracle, or perhaps MySQL.

Which one requires least setup/dependencies and has least steep learning curve ?

I came across a program once, that is supposed to run the same on
MySQL and on Postgres (and AFAIK it does), but could have a 3rd
party module installed that only works correctly on MySQL...
(FYI - StyLite's EGroupware vs ProjectERP (PERP)) so there I
learned there are sub(tle|stantial) differences between them -
how does Firebird relate to that ?

> As for your plan (in your other post) to use another database and
> keep the Access DB for reading, that looks ok to me, but you might
> even want to consider just datapumping everything over immediately,
> maybe to a different database: Maintaining 2 access layers, with
> dependencies on 2 database (servers/systems), less need to rewrite
> vs 1 access layer, but need to migrate data/probably program logic to
> the new db, maybe with conversion issues.

Thing is - I need to consider my options for the dynamic part (feeder-logic
communication table) now, as the new system is being developed, while still
being able to run both the new the old system on the old mdb file, for as
long as it's needed; and then, there is the other purpose the MS Access was used -
it was creating Reports.

So until my conversion is feature-complete, I guess I will use MS Access
and the database server connection concurrently.

> Last option would be to just leave it in an .mdb file and see how
> far you get, but have the client/server database server standing
> by...

Or as I wrote above, writes to the db-server and the mdb will happen
concurrently so I can determine what really needs to be where.

> Regards, Reinier

Thanks,
Lukasz