[Lazarus] Search paths per platform

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:14:28 CEST 2011

On 13.09.2011 00:19, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Joost van der Sluis schrieb:
>
>> I wrote a blog-post about this last Friday, it's not really a how-to,
>> but maybe you can find more information there:
>> http://www.lazarussupport.com/lazarus/weblog/project_settings_in_delphi_and_lazarus
>>

> IMO everything boils down to the different package management, in Delphi
> and Lazarus. While Delphi relies on the Windows registry, Lazarus relies
> on its own package registration - what (currently) requires to rebuild
> the IDE for every installed (design time?) package.

You are mixing two things up here:

1. You need to rebuild Lazarus everytime you install a new package,
because Free Pascal does not yet support dynamic packages (or to be more
correct: it's in a very, very rudimentic state). And dynamic packages
themselves don't need the registry at all.

2. Delphi uses the Windows Registry to store its known packages, true,
but Lazarus basically does the same for its installed packages in its
XML files that are stored in e.g. %APPDATA%\lazarus or ~/.lazarus. The
Lazarus variant is cross plattform though and Lazarus will continue to
use a mechanism like this when dynamic packages become a reality for FPC.

Regards,
Sven