[Lazarus] Automatic handling of multiple Lazarus installation - user configuration folder (Was: Re: Search paths per platform)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 19:42:02 CEST 2011

Flávio Etrusco schrieb:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
>> Sven Barth schrieb:
>>
>>> 2. Delphi uses the Windows Registry to store its known packages, true, but
>>> Lazarus basically does the same for its installed packages in its XML files
>>> that are stored in e.g. %APPDATA%\lazarus or ~/.lazarus.
>> The difference becomes obvious with multiple Lazarus installations. Where
>> multiple Delphi versions share packages (causing trouble), every Lazarus
>> installation must be configured explicitly.
>>
>> DoDi
>>

> I believe this has been discussed recently, but can't find it right now.
> I'm willing to write patch, which of these features would be desirable/accepted?

I can't find my preferred solution anywhere :-(

I'd store all configuration data together with the Lazarus binary, i.e.
in the Lazarus folder(s), what reduces the need for --pcp to almost
zero. Another (common) config only can contain user preferences, nothing
about Lazarus installations. Then *commonly usable* packages also can go
into that common config, while their binaries still are installation
specific - this could become a new Lazarus option.

But I know that I'm quite lost with this model, at least from the core
team VP...

DoDi