[Lazarus] lazarus debug with gdb [Re: [fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:33:13 CEST 2011

On 14/09/2011 22:06, Martin wrote:

> while ansistring pose a general problem, using shhotstring, stabs does
> the job. (fpc trunk / gdb 7.3-2 / win 32)
>
> VarString15 starts with "T15"
> -data-evaluate-expression VarString15[2]
> STABS: ^done,value="49 '1'"
> DWARF: ^done,value="53 '5'"
>
> dwarf3: ^done,value="84 'T'"

This inconsistent output from GDB has bitten me before! I struggled for
hours debugging my code, just to find out GDB doesn't handle FPC strings
correctly.  Since then my GDB usage is limited to breakpoints and
stepping, and tiOPF's logging is for analysing the "real" data values.

If you can't trust your debugger, who can you trust? ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/