[Lazarus] The color of special characters in the Source Editor

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Sep 15 15:51:35 CEST 2011

On 15/09/2011 14:32, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 15/09/2011 14:50, Martin wrote:
>>> If I understand this right, it would make comment background color stop working?
>>>
>> good point
> Umm... then what if the special characters is always rendered using the
> same foreground color as setup for Comments - just a bit darker or light
> than the original color.
>
> Attached are a few screenshots and a demo program showing what I mean.
>
> Note the "dots" (spaces) inside Comments are darker or lighter shade of
> the original color. The normal Spaces foreground color is a completely
> separate color.

I know the problem. I used to use special-char-dots, but comments are
not readable... In normal source, i would have space to be a very  light
grey

There are various solutions (some may be of use for other stuff too)

- the cheap: new "comment-space" color (not my preference)

1) add a alpha channel:
  - specify: foreground="no color", alpha=70%
  - result:   the "default" color will faded with 70% background
                "default" = "Default Text", "comment" or "string"
depending on context

  - specify: foreground="green color", alpha=70%
   - result:   the green will be mixed with the "default" (70% default
30% green)

2) add a layer-priority on each setting
e.g  the setting with the highest layer will override others.
so currently layers are
  space = 1
  comment  = 2

---
I do like 1, for the problem at hand, spaces in comment may still be
blue-ish (or whatever your setting, but faded to background

the 2nd solution may be more useful, for things like how to mix
"syncro-edit-active-area-color with current-selection. But I would not
necessarily specify the layer on the colors => that would be confusing
- star a syncro edit (start mid-line) => when active the area that was
selected, is highlighted by some background color
- select a block that start before, and end inside tha above area => the
are start can no longer be seen
feature 2 alone does not solve this => but there are many other such
conflicts...