[Lazarus] lazarus debug with gdb [Re: [fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger]

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Sep 15 18:56:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 11:33 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 14/09/2011 22:06, Martin wrote:
> >
> > while ansistring pose a general problem, using shhotstring, stabs does
> > the job. (fpc trunk / gdb 7.3-2 / win 32)
> >
> > VarString15 starts with "T15"
> > -data-evaluate-expression VarString15[2]
> > STABS: ^done,value="49 '1'"
> > DWARF: ^done,value="53 '5'"
> >
> > dwarf3: ^done,value="84 'T'"

> This inconsistent output from GDB has bitten me before! I struggled for
> hours debugging my code, just to find out GDB doesn't handle FPC strings
> correctly.  Since then my GDB usage is limited to breakpoints and
> stepping, and tiOPF's logging is for analysing the "real" data values.

Can you stop sending these useless messages? We know that there are
three things that are problematic on gdb. Martin listed them earlier. We
also know that two of them should be solved in Dwarf-3. So there's one
issue left (properties-using-getters) and one fpc-issue, namely the
missing debug-info for RTL units.

You do not have to send a few messages each day about this. We already
know. Martin just tries to help solving these issues, by giving more
information about it. That's useful. Replying to each message that it is
a disgrace that it is that bad, is not useful at all.

But please keep us informed on your progress with your fpc-debugger.
That could be interesting.

Joost.