[Lazarus] Generating line info

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Sep 19 20:29:32 CEST 2011

On 19/09/2011 19:22, cobines wrote:
> 2011/9/19 Martin<lazarus at mfriebe.de>:
>> -gl therefore always includes, and included -g
> Before, on Win32 Stabs was default with "-g -gl" (at least with FPC
> 2.4.4) and now with "Automatic" Lazarus forces "-gw2 -godwarfsets". I
> know I can change but can it by default pass simply "-g" when
> "Automatic" is chosen? So that FPC chooses which debug info to
> include, not Lazarus.

The whole idea is, that using Lazarus as an ide, the user actually gets
to see what is used...

Otherwise, if users have problems, and are asked to tell what they use,
the don't know.
and there are no docs or other methods to tell what info fpc uses by
default, on platform xyz (not to speak to need to know the fpc version ...)

So being able to tell what the default is, is full intention.

Also according to testing I have done, using the version of GDB included
in lazarus => so doing what the average user would do, it appears that
dwarf is delivering better results. (e.g, (IIRC) properties that map to
fields are inspectable, if using dwarf => so promoting dwarf, will
reduce the amount of problems that new users have)
There may of course be exceptions to that. Thats why there is a choice.

Out of curiosity:
- Why do you prefer stabs?
- Why do you prefer stabs generated by -g, rather than choosing explicitly?