[Lazarus] (Still googling for it) GDB error 31 ?

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Sep 22 13:41:09 CEST 2011

On 22/09/2011 12:16, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed 0.9.30 (2011-03-08), FPC 2.4.2 rev. 29749
> (i386-win32-win32/win64) on another machine with Windows XP Prof. SP3,

32 Bit CPU? or 64 bit?

If 32, then please download latest GDB from
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/binaries (include libraries) and
try with that.

> It compiles, and runs OK, but for some reason at some point
> (when I press a key on my keyboard when caret is in a TMemo),
> the GDB bails out with Error: 31 (found in debug log) at which time Lazarus
> panics and pulls a plug...
I don't currently have my XP test environment ready, so I'll ask questions.

The 32 one must have some context (even if you can't see it currently
(Signal, OS error, File-system error....)

The latest 0.9.31 (trunk / unstable snapshot) displays added info in the
"oops debugger" message.
You might try the 0.9.30.1 (fixes branch / usually quite stable), though
I am not sure it does have the extra info.

In any case, you do not need to upgrade, but  you should at least run
with --debug-log (NO need to recompile with the extra define) and also
provide the output from the "debug output" window, as described on the wiki.

> I did what http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips suggested,
> i.e. no -Xs, no -XX, no optimization or -O1.
With or without "dwarf (-gw)" ? Does dwarf make a difference (probably not).

> I can replicate it with a small test project,
> this is so small it's pointless to write code here :
> - start a new project
> - put a TMemo on it
> - save&compile&run
> - click on the Memo1 when running
> - type any alphanumeric character on the keyboard
>   ->  GDB crashes, this time not even reporting an Error number.
Exact text, of the output of GDB or the Lazarus IDE?

> Still googling for what the Error: 31 means.
>
> This does not happen on Lazarus 0.9.28.2 r22279 FPC 2.2.4 i386-win32-win32/win64.
>
> Shall I report to bugtracker ?

I would advice first to update gdb (or even try with the old gdb from
0.9.28), and also provide the info I indicated above.

Maybe it will be solved with the new gdb => which will already be part
of the next Lazarus.
If not, reporting it as a bug, will raise the same questions...