[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 14:05:25 CEST 2012

Michael Schnell schrieb:
> On 04/04/2012 10:20 PM, Alberto Narduzzi wrote:
>>
>> True is that nowadays NON-GUY envs. tend to disappear; but you need to
>> remember that FP is meant to be portable to (any) environment,
>> including embedded systems; where this difference is still alive and
>> kicking.
> Embedded stuff, CGI, Daemons/Services you name it.
>
> Since years, I always advocated that it should be possible to do non-GUI
> software in a decent way. But here, Lazarus is severely lacking support:
> there is _no_ Widget type that allows for normal "Delphi-Type" event
> driven programming style, without requiring a GUI binding. (Because no
> "Main Loop" and no event queue for timer- or thread generated events is
> implemented.)

The event handling, which you want to use, must be implemented and also
must be supported by the platform and process type - else you cannot get
events at all. AFAIR there exists a noGUI widgetset, which implements
the message processing (for Timer...) in a non-GUI application.
Otherwise you have to ask the FPC people for message support apart from
a GUI.

DoDi