[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Apr 10 09:52:27 CEST 2012

> Explain why you think it can't be integrated with other loops?  Glib
> has been synced with many things (libev, zeromq, qt, etc).
When thinking, over the weekend I, seem to now top have understood, that
I misread your suggestion and that it's vice-versa than I first go it:

GTK does not "know about files", but it provides a file handle that can
used in "select()"  or "epoll()" OS-API calls to allow for waiting on
GTK generated events at the same time  with additional events that
provide "file" actions. Of course a thread communication (such as
"TThread.Synchronize() and "Application.Queue AsyncCall()) can be done
using File events usable in select() or epoll().

Thus the "busy polling" using a timeout to do a periodic polling cycle,
can easily be avoided and I do hope that the Widget Type code in fact
works that way.

Thanks,
-Michael

(Oh course I now also see that the term "poll" is used in the name
"epoll", and this of course is provided explicitly for avoiding "busy
polling". :-[ )