[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.0 is branched

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:05:11 CEST 2012

On 4/4/2012 6:33 πμ, waldo kitty wrote:
> agreed... plus "we" do not know how many years the v1.0 of delphi was in
> development... we might guess based on TP/BP stuffs but "we" still do
> not know for sure... it can easily be for more years than FP/Laz has
> been in development ;)

Not really, this quote from a "history" article from Borland's Museum:

---
"Delphi" started out as a beta codename for a closely guarded skunkworks
project at Borland: a next-generation visual development environment for
Windows based on Borland's Object Pascal programming language. The
codename hatched in mid 1993, after the development team had been
through about 6 months of deep research, proof-of-concept exercises, and
market analysis.
---

So Delphi was in development since late 1992.  Since the first release
was in 1995, we can infer that Delphi was at most three years in
development before the first 1.0 release.  Lazarus started in 1999 (and
according to the history page in the wiki, it is based on an older 1998
project which itself is based on an even older project, although i'm not
sure what exactly "based" here means) so it is over a decade in
development and still no 1.0.

So if you think about it, if Borland worked on Delphi more than Lazarus,
then they'd need to work on it before even Windows 1.0 was released :-P.

Kostas "Bad Sector" Michalopoulos