[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.0 is branched

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Apr 10 17:41:49 CEST 2012

On 4/10/2012 10:16, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:11:37 -0400
> waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:

>>> A few months ago I noticed a commit regarding this (I have the svn log
>>> in my  rss reader) which made me curious because something like this
>>> was (almost) exactly what I was looking for all the time, then I
>>> looked into the makefile and saw it ;-)
>>
>> i wonder why it is not listed in the "all" section, then?
>
> "all" is the default target.
> A "make" should build a default IDE.

yes, it does...

>> i found it in ".PHONY" and then yes, there is a section header for it that does
>> call lazbuild which builds the default ide... "default" as in which ever one has
>> been saved as the initial one... on my system, this is "debug ide"... on yours
>> it might be "optimized ide"... so my script builds all the necessary items and
>> then invokes lazbuild for each of the known default ide... so as to give one a
>> choice, any time, as to what they run for their ide... this should allow for
>> testing between revisions... i just need to figure out how to get the revision
>> number being compiled so that the exes can be named with it...
>>
>> eg:
>> 04/05/2012  16:05          130,631,688 lazarus_r36661-clean_up_build_all.exe
>> 04/05/2012  15:50           76,245,358 lazarus_r36661-debug.exe
>> 04/05/2012  15:56           93,860,444 lazarus_r36661-normal.exe
>> 04/05/2012  16:00           13,431,404 lazarus_r36661-optimized.exe
>> 04/09/2012  20:23           76,463,494 lazarus.exe
>
> I'm curious. What are you testing with these 5 versions of the IDE?

nothing yet... the idea is to be able to draw from several revisions and see how
one's own programs come out... it isn't necessarily that these "flavors" are
being tested but to give those using my script the choice of which they want to
use...

BTW: you found a bug... i thought i had made the change from copying
lazarus.new.exe but i guess i didn't... my system halts for approval on certain
items and in this case, it sat for a few days awaiting ACK of the new lazbuild
starting up... there's supposed to be only 4 there... the 4 default ones... and
lazarus.exe should be a copy of one of them... however, in the above case,
lazarus.exe is a new debug one and none of the others were generated...
interesting ~200K difference, though... the ones with the _rXXXXX in them are
actually r36581 and the lazarus.exe is r36661... i should have noticed this when
i was posting before :(

plus, someone asked a while back about the compiled size of the ide's exes
during the time that the jvm stuff was being added... i had about 20 or so exes
but no way to differentiate them without starting them and looking at
help->about... at that time i was doing the build from inside the ide and then
manually numbering like lazarus01.exe, lazarus02.exe and could then only attempt
to rely on the filedate to get close to the revision...

i find it kinda interesting that "normal" is larger than "debug" yet "debug" has
more details... i'm assuming that "clean up + build all" has no optimizations at
all... i guess this should be seen in the build profiles...