[Lazarus] RE : Development of other revision control

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Thu Apr 12 10:39:43 CEST 2012

> IIUC, the SVN package (plugin) lets people use SVN with their
> Lazarus project, e.g. check in and out his project code from
> within the IDE. Yes, a developer might be interested in doing
> more with SVN, but managing his project source code in SVN
> would be the most important thing, right? IIUC, that's
> already possible with the SVN component. If I read your mails
> right, you're actually interested in this part, right?

What is missing is the functionnality to create a new repository from the
current project. That would the biggest value add of an integrated version
control plugin. Explorer plugins like TortoiseSVN don't know what a lazarus
project is (or any other project) and can only create new repositories from
a complete directory tree. This means: weeding out unnecessary, non-source
files from the directory, add whatever third party code needed which is not
already under version control and then create a repository from the
directory and check it out again to make it a working copy. The IDE knows
the project and its dependencies and could make this step very easy for the
user.

Adding or deleting a file to/from a project and doing the same in the
repository would also be a logical extension.

Ludo