[Lazarus] other replies to "Development of other revision control"

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 09:08:19 CEST 2012

On 13-4-2012 20:43, Dawson wrote:

> On 12/04/12 Reinier wrote:
>> I'd rather have a single package that supports multiple systems - if
>> necessary with extensions for certain systems (e.g. things that git can
>> do that SVN can't).
>> This package would talk to various revision control system classes
>> (using an API/interface/factory model, however you want to call
>> it/implement it).
>> The project directory could contain a file (or perhaps an extension to
>> the .lpi file, don't know if that is allowed) that specifies which RCS
>> to use, as well as URLs, usernames, perhaps passwords etc.
>
> Yes, Rienier, that is kind of how I was thinking about it. I like neat
> solutions whenever possible. The code is generally easier to write and
> maintain. (as I said in an earlier post, any information needed for
> doing SCM transactions would be negotiated by a user controlled
> interface (configurations). Some configuration information, such as what
> type of SCM mechanism is being used, and presets for which files to
> ignore etc could be stored on a project by project basis either in the
> .lpi, or somewhere in the project folder, for instance "scmSettings.cfg".
Ok

>> Then again, it's not my decision.
> Sorry for the foolish sounding question, but who would make this kind of
> decision?
I think the cliché is true: there are no foolish questions, only foolish
answers... so trying not to make a fool of myself:
If you're going to write the code, it'll be your decision. After it's
done, and you've uploaded your patch to the bug tracker, it'll be the
Lazarus core developers (the guys with commit rights on the SVN
repositories) decision on whether or not to commit the revised component
source code.
If you're touching FPC source code, same, but for FPC committers (they
probably have quite some overlap with the Lazarus committers).

I think you're already well on your way to avoid surprises at the commit
stage by getting people's opinion here.

> Can anyone tell me how to use lazsvnpkg? I get all the forms popping up
> the way they should based on menu clicks, but I can't get it to do much
> more than crash. I have been using the command line tools since I
> couldn't get lazsvnpkg to work for me. (I could explore the code, which
> I plan to do anyway, but if anyone has any pointers, I'd be happy to
> explore them. I couldn't find any description of what to do, and sorry,
> it is not obvious to me what I need to do to get it to work.)
Sorry, no, I don't have a (spare/any) SVN server handy and a bit too
busy with database stuff right now...

Regards,
Reinier