[Lazarus] Development of other revision control

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 12:49:40 CEST 2012

Dawson schrieb:
> Hans-Peter wrote ...
>
>> An API may be required when multiple CVS shall be supported at the same
>> time. Then somebody (the IDE?) has to determine which of the installed
>> packages is used by a project.
>>

> Yes Hans-Peter,
> I was thinking that just like you have project settings, you could have
> SCM settings on a project by project basis (somewhere ... either in a
> separate file, or in the lpi [that might be a touchy subject ... I don't
> know) that would keep track of whatever stuff the SCM doesn't know
> about. Or, the SCM module could simply look for the appropriate folder
> such as .SVN, .GIT, or whatever and extract whatever is needed from
> there to do the job.

That sounds like a reasonable separation. The IDE should allow to put a
project under control of a VCS, and then puts all related files and
directories (source, config...) under version conrol (or removes them
again, when deleted or moved).

Afterwards the IDE should know when to commit changes, e.g. it could ask
on IDE/procject close whether the changes should be committed, if
something has changed.

Remains branch management and switching revisions. This IMO should be
better done outside the IDE, i.e. when the IDE is closed, so that the
user doesn't have to answer dialog boxes about files changed on disk,
and no changes can get lost on the files, which have not yet been saved
by the IDE.

DoDi