[Lazarus] TProcess, UTF8, Windows

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Apr 17 03:53:40 CEST 2012

On 4/13/2012 11:52, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
>  > It would be a huge duplication of documentation to write in every
>  > single Lazarus function that uses string that it expects UTF-8.
>  > It would be like writing in every function that string means
>  > longstring (aka ansistring), that the routine is not using a
>  > shortstring ... well, this is obvious.
>
> Huh? Now I know why it is as it is.
> How can you say that all this is obvious?
> Why is it obvious that FindFirst expects ANSI enconding
> while CopyFile needs UTF8. How should a programmer know this?
> It does not fall from sky.

+1000000000000000~!

> When I use a function that I used before (in Turbo Pascal, Virtual Pascal,
> Delphi) but now want to use with Free Pascal (Lazarus) then the first
> thing is to google for it. For CopyFile I find a link to the documentation
> but it only says:

google, yes, to a point... but not everyone lives by google... especially those
who are not on an always on network connection :? :(

but even so, google should NOT be required just to be a coder in pascal... too
many seem to think that google is the do all, be all, end all of documentation :(

i cannot count the hours i've spent with google and some of the coding i've
attempted to port over from TP/BP 6/7 with poor to no results that were anywhere
near helpful :(