[Lazarus] TImage - Getting image properties in 'canvas space'

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Apr 19 09:52:30 CEST 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 19 April 2012 00:04, Alberto Narduzzi <albertonarduzzi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> An interface to a class (or its concept, anyway) is there for a reason. And
>> you should adhere to. I may also say that if you need to access a protected,
>> or private for what is worth, member of a (library...) class, then you
>> should revise your code... because either you're using the wrong class, or
>> your problem can be solved in a different, possibly more elegant, and surely
>> more OO compliant way ;-)
>

> I totally disagree...  :)
> type
>  // Friend class to get access to protected methods
>  THackCustomEdit = class(TCustomEdit);

The Hack says it all. Here you are working outside regular OOP rules.

The correct way would have been an implementation for each descendent of
TCustomEdit.

You just took a shortcut. Nothing wrong with that by itself, but basing an
argument about general OOP rules on a shortcut implementation is incorrect
reasoning.

In a system with stricter rules, you would have had to solve it differently.

Michael.